Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oktoberfest

I went to Munich (1) to drop in on my friend Rena and her husband Terry who moved there from Kauai about a year and a half ago and (2) to satisfy my Germany stop through western Europe en route to Italy.  It just so happened that the annual (and 200th anniversary) of the Oktoberfest celebration was happening at the same time and, though I'm no beer drinker, I couldn't be in Munich and not attend the extraveganza... so I was told. 

Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany = Thousands of people in a giant tent, drinking 1-liter beers, dressed in traditional Bavarian garb, singing "Country Roads take me home" with the band performing on a center stage, and having a wild good time! 


Rena (dressed in her traditional Dirndl) and myself (dressed in my shabby RTW clothing) made it a point to arrive early in order to secure a seat at table.  And, be it only 8:30 AM, on came the waiter and the crowds began ordering their first rounds of the Mass (1 liter) sized brews along with their breakfasts consisting of sausage, sausage, and more sausage.

I ordered an apple cider so I could partake in the countless toasts throughout the day and supplimented that with some of the traditional food on offer including one of the HUGE pretzels...

Though not entirely "my thing", Oktoberfest was definately an experience and I met some fun people from Sweden and Austria sitting adjacent to us. 

The remainder of my time in Germany included a rest day (when I got caught up on my blog entries from my adventures through Portugal, Spain, and France), biking around the city, seeing the sites, and checking out the "surf"!



As you can see (evidenced by by sweater, beenie, and blue hands) the weather has begun to change here in Europe.  So much for some of the other countries close by... my next stop was Venice and the beginning of a couple weeks in the country I most looked forward to visitng...
     

2 comments:

  1. My grandparents (Gary & Billie) just got back from Europe and they were at Oktoberfest too! bummer you missed each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate this is actually Clay commenting. I'm so stoked for you buddy i wish i could be there with you. At least one of us can go around the world and enjoy an experience most people dream about. We miss you buddy. ENJOY your WorldTour and we'll see you soon..........

    ReplyDelete