Saturday, October 16, 2010

Italian 4th Course - Positano

In my opinion dinner is best planned around dessert... choose what sweet you need to leave room for and make your entree selection accordingly!  In Positano, along the Amalfi Coast in southern Italy, I found just that... sweet place, sweet people, and sweet times :) 

Did I mention the famous city of Pompei (frozen in time by the ash poured upon it by the violent eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79) was on the way?





And then... the beautiful coast... Positano is much less known than the town of Amalfi (from which the coast bears its name) and is consequently much less touristic although has everything you need to soak up the joys of Italy.  Including amazing treks:



The beach (although it is more cobble stones than sand):




And great people (like Carla and Cosimo - a brother and sister that ran the hostel I stayed in), "that guy" from the resturant next door that kept us entertained, and the other travelers staying at Hostel Brikette.  It seemed that the flavours of Positano attracted the same kind of travelers and everyone at Brikette shared in each others company in a way I found 'unique' so far during my hostel stays along my travels!  Positano will have a fond place in my heart and, to me, represented the best Italy had to offer... It was a dessert that knocked your socks off :)



2 comments:

  1. wow what a beautiful place. i might have spoke to soon on my comments about Cinque Terre. I have to say in comparison to living on kauai with beauty all around us, that Italians like those that live in the Amalfi Coast have a great lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention three really important things about Positano: (1) The narrowness of the roads and consequent skill of the bus drivers, (2) the fact that anytime you go anywhere it entails traversing at least one-thousand stairs up/down, and (3) that even I can get sick of pizza, pasta and gelato after two weeks in Italy!

    ReplyDelete