Saturday, October 16, 2010

Italian 3rd Course - Roma (Rome)

After wetting my appetite with some time back in nature in the Cinque Terre it was time for the main course - Roma (Rome)!  The train ride down provided for a transfer and couple hour layover in Pisa... just enough time to see that leaning tower we all know & love and snap a few shots...



I looked forward for along time to the day I got to visit the ancient sites of Rome (with thoughts of The Gladitor movie) and see them in all their splendor.  And, while the sites did not dissappoint, I have to admit the city itself did.  Albeit for the ancient sites within, Rome could just as well have been any other overcrowded city in the world.  But oh were the likes of the Colosseum, Vatican, and city ruins impressive and awe-inspiring!




Not to mention the famous (I don't know exactly why) Spainish Steps, Pantheon, and Trevi fountain.




After two full days of tramping around the city streets I had about done all the site seeing and dealing with street peddlers I could handle and, based on some recommendations, headed for a day trip just outside the city to visit some ruins away from the crowds.  Ostia Antica:

And, "ruined" out, plotted my course back towards more mellow locales and the shores (or cliffs rather) of the Amalfi Coast!

2 comments:

  1. Wow nate you've had some great photography but this some of the best. Very interesting composition and angles. Nice wide angle shots. But i also happened to catch the slow shutter on the Trevi fountain. Nice work. I'm sure it makes things fun and interesting. Definitely makes it easy on your readers. Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice to have an SLR with a variety of lenses but the G11 has proved to be a perfect companion for how I'm traveling!

    ReplyDelete