Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bikes and Yikes!

After enjoying the city splendor of Paris, it was up to Amsterdam to see what all the fuss was about... 

In order to "get the full cultural experience" I found my accomodation right in the heart of the famous Red Light District... and, suffice it to say, a "cultural experience" it was!





In Amsterdam there are more bikes (it seems) than people.  And, pedestrians by no means have the right-a-way! 


The city is litered with "coffee shops" that offer more than just your favorite mocha or cappucino.  I was told to check out one called The Greenhouse Effect.  I had a banana/chocolate/cream soda smoothie.  While not as "interesting" as some of the other more organic items on the menu it proved exotic enough for my tastes :)

Of course staying in the Red Light District means there are lots and lots of red lights.  And, by red lights I mean scantly clad women behind glass doors vying for your attention and trying to lure you into their dens.  Oddly enough there were scores of couples and families (some being with small children) walking thru the small  streets and alleys looking at all the happening as if they were simply strolling down the yellow brick road in Disneyland; I'm pretty sure I don't ever remember seeing Minnie Mouse dressed like the women behind those glass doors though! Yikes!!!


A couple days of that was one too many for me... it was on to meet friends in Munich and enjoy, yet again, another cultural phenomenon - Oktoberfest.    


2 comments:

  1. Loved reading all the hap's...nothing mentioned about Tom and Candi?
    I now you are roaming in Rome but just a thought...
    If you changed the "r" on Rome to "h"...you'de be HOME!!!!
    I love you,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it's not obvious that someone misses you!!! So cute.

    ReplyDelete