Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Plaid Carpet

You know you are in Scotland when the carpet is plaid!  And it was in several eateries, hostels, and places I visited during my time in the land of Scotch whisky, long haired little dogs, and bagpipes.  Boarding a train in England I was welcomed to my second international desitination by arriving in Scotlands capital city of Edinburgh. 

Fortunate for me, I arrived in Edinburgh during the yearly "Fringe Festival" - a month long phenomenon that brings together people from around the UK, Europe and the globe for the worlds largest celebration of the performing arts (with a particular emphasis, strangely enough, on stand-up comedy).  I spent several days weaving through the hoards of people along the city streets taking in an array of live street performances, concerts, free comedy shows, live theater, and spoken word amidst the towering Edinburgh Castle perched prominently on the mountain top above the action along the "Royal Mile" (the name given to the main strip).


As previously mentioned, a few days in the city and it is off again to get lost in the countryside!  And, no visit to Scotland would be complete without a trip to the history rich highlands, a stroll along the shores of Loch Ness, or a trek on one of the beautiful western isles....
          
If theres anything I've learned from my time in the UK it is this:
  • Call me ignorant but now I understand the difference:
    • Great Britain is the name of the Island containing the countries of England, Wales, and Scotland
    • The United Kingdom (UK) is the political association that adds Northern Ireland
  • I like tea.  Thoroughly.  With cream in it - English style.
  • The cuisine in the UK is horrible.  They lack anything traditional other than fried fish and chips.  And, fresh greens (in a sandwhich or for a salad) in the UK means no more than what we would be considered a garnish in other places.  I made due with finding ethnic food such as Indian take-aways and Kabob stands.  Still finding comfort (and a few extra pounds) in the great ice cream however!   
  • The English, for whatever reason, have yet to adopt the invention of the single valve faucet.  Instead, they hold on to their duel hot water and cold water taps at their sink lavatories.  This makes for painful hand washing as you suffer the prospect of sticking your dirty fingers in the icey cold stream followed by the risky business, and sharp contrast, of moving to the steaming hot stream and back & forth in a frivolous effort to gather a handful of the desired moderately warm water.
  • It is overcast 90% of the time.  Hence the "washed out" nature of many of the pictures from the region.
  • The UK is the most expensive place in the world.  No joke.  Pounds are 1.6ish US Dollars.   

2 comments:

  1. I know! I hate those stinkin hot & cold valve faucets!! so annoying! it's kind of like our current shower actually - either cold or scorching hot. ...still need to get that fixed.

    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the original way to use those faucets was to fill up the basin with the temp you'd like....Not much of a water saver!

    ReplyDelete