Monday, February 7, 2011

Laos Laos

Laos (pronounced "Lau") is a country to the north of Thailand, west of Vietnam, and south of China. It's sparse population, lack of economic strength, and proximity to the high profile nations around it keeps it overlooked by much of the world. Admittingly, before I began researching destinations for my travels, I didn't even know it existed! As the most heavily bombed country in history (many of the bombs during the Vietnam war where actually dropped across the border in Laos) the history of this nation is sad and troubling. However, the people hold no grudge and moving through the rural villages you are struck by the sense that the locals are content living their lives apart from the rest of the world...








3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing more about what you saw & did in Laos

    - Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. so are you picking up little souveniers from all the little kids on the street in every country? flashbacks of mexico...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Nate ... I am immensely proud of you and love the rich view through your eyes. Your ability to share your thoughts and describe your emotions in witnessing the wonder a different world is truly a gift to us all who can't travel at this time. I truly miss my vagabond years and love that I can experience it again through you :). Mahalo, and keep it up. Love you, A Lilly

    ReplyDelete